PLANS for a city centre carnival, due to be hosted next spring, have been abandoned due to a lack of public support.
The Brook St. carnival that had been held for the past four years was due to take place in May, but a lack of support from the majority of the residents and business owners on the street has resulted in the event being cancelled.
In a statement released on Facebook on Monday night, organisers of the event said: “As you will know this event has gone from strength to strength over the years, its success has generated more and more work, this work has been taken up by only a handful of people and businesses in the street.”
“It had been hoped that a more pro active attitude may be adopted by the very people the Carnival was set up to help but this sadly does not seem the case so for this reason we have had to take the decision to call it a day, for now at least.” They added.
The organisers went on to thank all the acts that had given their time for free over the past four years along with the late Labour politician Cllr David Robinson who was a keen supporter of the event.
Public reaction on Facebook was one of unanimous sadness at the cancellation of the event.
Graham Kay, a member of Indio’s Dream, who had previously performed at the event said: “Sorry to hear that (the carnival is cancelled) really enjoyed being part of this years carnival, many thanks.”
Residents from the surrounding area also shared their condolences.
Tristan Conoley, Chester, said: “How sad. You would think people would be falling over themselves to get on board with an event of this calibre, this hole in my social calendar will take some filling.”
Cheryl Quinn, Chester, said: “Such sad news but I totally understand the decision, tho I have to add this means we have lost one of the best, if not the best, Community Events In Chester.”
“Here’s to 2016, fingers crossed” She added.
The Akalites performing at last years carnival
Irish dancers also took to the street.